Saturday, November 20, 2010

Spinach and Prawn Soup & Sambal Lonte

Weather for Te Awamutu today,
Season :
Spring
Forecast :

Partly Cloudy
Temp : 28°C | 16°C
Current :
Chance of Rain

Temp : 19°C

Wonders why NZ's salted duck egg yolk isn't orange in colour??

Salam, Kia Ora,

I would like to thank all the visitors, whom are willing to spare some of your precious time to visit and read my blog.  Before I started blogging, I always have this thinking that no one will visit a newbie's blog.  There seems to be a million blogs that are established out there....Alhamdullilah, thank God ;)  Suddenly, I remember the show 'Ugly Betty'....One day, Betty decided to start blogging. Only after a long period of time, then she received one reader and that reader was her boss, Daniel...hehehez :D

I made an easy lunch cum dinner for me and Jannah today.  Bought a bag of spinach for the pizza yesterday and there is still some leftover.  I was quite surprise that Jannah ate the spinach :) wweeeiiiihhhhooooo.  Jannah is a picky eater when it comes to veggie, she will only eat carrots, potatoes & cabbages. 

At first she doesn't want it....keeps on saying "yucksie yuksie Jannah tak nak sayur lah."  She changed her mind and ate it after I said, "sedapnya sayur colour hijau, sama macam Ben10 kan.  Kalau Jannah makan sayur hijau, Jannah sama macam Ben10 ok."  Yikkkesss, after that sentence she ate it without any whinging....pheewww my plan works :D  For my non Malay readers, please use the google translator gadget....hehehez



Spinach and Prawn Soup
Ingredients :
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 shallot or half a medium onion
  • 1/2 tbsp canola oil
  • 12 fresh prawns
  • 2 stalks spinach (I only use the leaves, as I wasn't sure if the stem will be fibrous)
  • Enough water
  • Salt & pepper to taste
Directions :
  • Pound garlic and shallot or u can chopped them finely.
  • Heat oil in a pot and saute the garlic and shallot till fragrant.
  • Add prawns and a dash of pepper.
  • Once prawns is half cooked, remove from the pot.
  • Add water and let it boil.
  • Add prawns again, season with salt and pepper and let soup boil.
  • Turn fire off and add spinach.

Sambal Lonte (A version of Indonesian Sambal Belacan)
Ingredients :

  • Abt 10-12 green chillies or u can use birds eye chillies or red chillies.  Just have more green chillies than red so that the sambal colour will be darker.
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 2 shallots or 1 medium onion
  • 3 tsp toasted shrimp paste (belacan)
  • 1 tbsp canola oil
  • Salt if required
Note : You can also add fried anchovies or left over fried fish in the sambal and lessen the amount of belacan.  I didn't add them bcos I couldn't be bothered to fry anchovies and I didn't have any left over fish.

Directions :

  • Slice chillies into half, length wise. (To avoid 'explosion' while frying them :D)
  • Slice garlic and shallots.
  • Heat oil in pan and fry all the above ingredient until they are soft and caramelised.
  • Pound all the ingredients with a mortar and pestle or u can use a blender.  Don't forget to add the belacan and anchovies or fried fish. Do not over pound or over blend. 
  • Season with salt if required.


Hb is not into our kinda food.  He requested something simple for dinner.  American hot dogs with spicy seasoned chips :)  I'm sure the rice, soup & sambal look more tantalising and mouth watering....hehehez :D

Hope everyone had great time today.

Me Te Aroha...With Love,
Anie ;)

6 comments:

Yat Maria said...

Been meaning ti make sambal lonte for ages but tak buat2..sebab..this house no belachan..nak tunggu MIL kasi baru ada belachan..tahat's why I buat sambal blachan tak power sebab jarang buat..nak makan, ai beli ready amde..readymade u paham2 lah mana ader power gedemak kan..

Anie said...

Yat,

My belacan punya stock...I kirim my mom dkt SG. Lepas tu mintak yg dah dibakar lagi...over kan hehehez. I kalau malas nak buat sambal belacan, beli yg dlm botol jer, brand sing long, a bit cair, but an ok substitute for me lah.

For this sambal lonte, I ingat my arwah nenek dulu buat tak pakai belacan langsung, cuma guna ikan bilis atau ikan goreng....sedaaappp jugak. U cuba try buat cam gitu lah ;)

CS said...

Anie
I dah pernah buat sambal tu tapi tak tau plak namanya sungguh vogue cenggitu, heheh.

Belacan kat rumah I pun malu2 kucing so most of the time I only use anchovies.

Rima said...

Anie
Kat rumah ni pong jarang buat sambal belacan padahal my hb fav makan benda tu cuma bini dia aje malas nak bakar belacan... teringat cerita p ramlee dah.. "ganja ganja ganja.. belacan ada?? shhhhhhh belacan??" hahahah

Anie said...

Somuffins,

Sambal ni tergolong dlm list divas pasal tu nama dia vogue sikit hahahaz.

Anie said...

Rima,

U tak bole bakar belacan, nanti ur oven bau belacan...then ur cake pun bau belacan. Jadi mcm I mintak mak yg bakarkan....hehehez ;)

My hb pulak kelakar pat belacan...dia kalau tau ada belacan dia tak mkn. Kalau I buat sambal belacan or sambal tumis, selalu seludup2 tarok belacan....mcm citer P Ramlee. Dia nampak sambal belacan dia akan ckp ohhh the 'camp pong' (kampong) sambal, yummzz hahahaz padahal ada secret ingredients dkt dlm tu.