Chance of Rain
Temp : 29°C | 18°C
Temp : 23°C
Salam, Kia Ora.....
It's a tradition for kiwis to serve trifle on Xmas day as one of their desserts ;) We don't celebrate Xmas but hb has requested me to make some trifles for him bcos its the only time that he gets to eat trifle again (I'm not a big fan of trifles, too much cream, not my kinda dessert :D) I've already bought the fresh cream and custard last Wednesday when I went for my groceries shopping. The reason why I bought them that early is bcos they run out of the supermarket shelves before Xmas eve. Not only Singaporean are 'kiasu' and luvs to hoard festive ingredients, the kiwis do that too.....hehehehez ;)
I did my baking dash on Xmas day when I baked the cute little puffins, so hb was quite disappointed when he opened the fridge and saw no trifle :( He was sort of nagging that the cream and custard will go rotten if I were to keep them any longer :D. I made them yesterday, as I've promised him. This time with extra custard and cream bcos I remembered his feedback, the last time I made them....saying that it was dry. This time he said its almost there, just need some lemon juice nxt time. Yes sir!! Hahahahaz.....
I've never eaten a kiwi trifle or any trifle in my life, so I don't know what trifle is all abt until I googled them. When I asked him how trifle is made...he said that he only knows how to eat them. Yikessss great answer hb....thank you very much yah!! :ppp So this is my version of trifle. I got the method from some food forum that I joined years ago....couldn't exactly remember where.
Wonders why the sponge has a lot of bubbles on the surface. My slivered almonds were over toasted...hahahaz :D
Fruit Trifle Ingredients :
Home made or store bought plain sponge cake
Strawberry or raspberry jam
1 can of sliced peaches (cut into halves)
1 can fruit salad or fruit cocktails in clear fruit juice
500ml fresh cream
1 litre carton prepared vanilla custard
Toasted slivered almonds
I made my own sponge cake by using the recipe below. Skip this step if you are using store bought sponge cake.
Source : Bro Rozzan. Tks Bro Rozzan for sharing this recipe ;)
Sponge Cake Ingredients :
6 grade A eggs (I used 6 sized 7 eggs)
4 oz caster sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 tablespoon ovalet
3 oz plain flour
1 tablespoon milk powder
4 oz butter (melted)
1. Beat eggs, sugar, ovalet, baking powder, vanilla essence, flour and milk powder on high speed until thick and fluffy (5-7mins).
2. Add melted butter and mix / stir.
3. Pour batter into the pan and then just smooth the surface.
4. Bake for about 20 minutes with a temperature of 170 degrees Celsius.
Note : I baked the batter in a 32 x 24 cm swiss roll pan and got 2 pieces of cakes from the mixture above and I only used 1 piece of sponge cake for the trifle.
Fruit Trifle Method :
1. Cut the sponge into half and spread with jam and place in the base of a large serving bowl.
2. Pour over the fruit juice until the sponge cake is wet.
3. Spread the half of the peaches and fruit salad on top.
4. Whip the cream until soft peaks form and blend 2/3 the whipped cream with the custard. Spread half of the custard evenly over the fruit and sponge.
5. Spread jam on the remaining half of the sponge and place it on top of the custard.
6. Repeat step 2-5 for 2nd layer.. Spread the remaining whipped cream over the top of the custard and refrigerate one hour before serving.
8. Decorate with grated chocolate and toasted almonds before serving.
Its a long recipe but its indeed an easy, peasy dessert to be made especially if you just buy the sponge cake like how people here do it. I will share with you what I did to the other half of the sponge cake batter in my next entry.
4 more days till New Year.....
Me Te Aroha...With Love,