Saturday, July 21, 2012

Karipap Pusing (Spiral Curry Puffs)



Salam everyone,

The new moon was sighted last night here, thus the first of Ramadhan falls today.  Ramadhan Kareem to all my Muslim acquaintances be it in the real world or in the cyber world ;)  May Allah accepts our fasts, prayers and all our good deeds and charities in this blessed month of Ramadhan.  Please do forgive me if I have any wrong doings cos I'm only human.  Alhamdullilah for us Muslims in NZ, we are fasting during the winter month.  Shorter days....imsak ends at 5.56am and maghrib is at 5.26pm.

Yesterday, I asked Jannah if she wanted to fast.  She asked me what fasting is.  I explained to her that fasting is when we have to refrain from eating and drinking from dawn until sunset in the holy month of Ramadhan.  She replied "Jannah tak nak puasa lah nanti Jannah lapar, nanti Jannah mati macam mana?"  Yikkeesss what a reply, I had a chuckle.  I told her that she can try fasting for half a day and she can break her fast anytime she wants to as its only a trial run for her.  The best way for me to make her understand what fasting really is was to let her watch Upin & Ipin 'Esok Puasa' episode on Youtube hehehez.  Once she finished watching the video, she told me that she wants to try and fast.....alhamdullilah.

Jannah woke up easily for breakfast when I woke her up this morning but she didnt have much food and went back to sleep easily as soon as I turned off the lights.  The whole day today, I asked if she's alright and if she wanted to continue fasting and she kept on saying yes.  It was at 4pm when I fried these curry puffs.  As soon as she saw the curry puffs, she start asking if she can have them hehehehez.  I told her if u still want to continue fasting, u have to wait for another 1.5hrs.  She said ok....but by 5pm she kept on asking when she can eat and she's hungry.  The next moment, I saw her went into the room and watched telly and she managed to fast the whole day today.  Hb is a little concern abt her and told me not to let her fast the whole day tomorrow.  I do agree with him though.....




Anyway, abt these curry puffs.  I find that the dough is a bit difficult to handle.  You have to handle them with TLC otherwise they will break apart.  I am so used to handling the normal curry puffs dough and find that these ones absorb more oil than the normal ones.  I also find that it is hard to plait the curry puffs and almost impossible to maintain uniform shapes.  Some big, some small, some cresent shape, some straight hehehez.  I reheat them in the oven for abt 15 mins since they were fried earlier.  During iftar, when I tried them, the pastry was really crunchy and I liked them.  I guess good things take time aye and as for hb, he said that he still prefers the traditional curry puffs than these ones.....hhmmzzz :ppp




Source : Me, Myself & I @ Me Te Aroha

Ingredients for Fillings :
3 medium sized potatoes
1 sweet potato
1 large onion
3 cloves garlic
2 inches ginger
Dried anchovies - a handful
Minced beef - a handful
1.5 tblsp curry powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 sprigs curry leaves
Salt & pepper to taste
2 tblsp canola oil
Water

Method :
Peel potatoes & sweet potato and cut into small cubes.  Boil in salt water till cooked.
Blend onion, garlic, ginger and anchovies until fine.
Heat oil in wok and stir fry the blended ingredients & curry leaves till fragrant.
Add curry & turmeric powder and a little bit of water to form a paste and fry further till fragrant.
Add minced beef and cover wok, stirring occasionally until beef are cooked.
Add boiled potatoes & sweet potato and stir until well incorporated.  Add salt & pepper.
Simmer for abt 5 minutes and turn fire off.
Let filling cools down.

Source : Sonia @ Nasi Lemak Lover
For step by step photos on how to create the spiral skin, please refer to the above link.
Pastry
Water dough
200g all purpose flour
90-100g water
3tbsp cooking oil
1/2tsp salt
25g caster sugar

1. Mix all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
2. Slowly pour in water and lightly knead till a soft dough.
3. Cover and set aside to rest for 20mins.

Oil dough
90g all purpose flour
45g Crisco shortening ( Sonia reduced from original recipe 70g as she found it was too sticky to be handled)

1. Put flour in a mixing bowl.
2. Rub in shortening and slowly combine to a soft dough.
3. Cover and set aside to rest for 15mins.

To make spiral skin
1. Flatten the water dough and wrap the oil dough inside. Pinch the edges to seal it nicely.
2. Dust some flour on a work surface, gently roll the dough out into a rectangle.
3. Fold the rectangle from one long end by 1/3, and fold the other one long end over the top.
4. Rotate the dough 90 degree, gently roll the dough into rectangle again and repeat the folding process twice more.
5. Once the dough has been rolled and folded 3 times, slowly roll up tightly into a Swiss roll (apply some water on the dough while rolling) and rest for 20mins.
6. Use a sharp knife, divide the dough into 15 pieces of small dough (about 30g each).

To fill and shape puff
1. Take a small dough (spiral side face up) and use a small rolling pin to roll to a circle disc.
2. Put 1tbsp of filling in the centre, press the edge together and seal it.
3. Pinch the edge of the puff with your thumb and make plait on the edge.
4. Heat oil in a wok or deep fryer, oil must be very hot before putting in the puff and enough to cover to the puff.
5. Deep fry the puff on medium heat until golden brown.



Happy weekend peeps ;) TTFN........



14 comments:

Yat Maria said...

Anie dear..

Selamat menyambut Ramadhan to u too babe! But first I had to LOL! when I saw the Me,myself & I coz u know i know lah kan...muahhahaha..beh tahan arrr wa baca!

Alhamdulillah, Jannah managed to fast the whole day walaupun trial period. Well done! That spiral epok2 kan I rasa susah nak buat..makan pun I jarang2 with TLC..pasti pecah rabak..so silalh u buat for me..hehe..I tinggal ngap jer :)

CS said...

Anie
Assalam dan selamat menyambut Ramadhan.

Syabas pada Jannah. 1st cobaan/dugaan (karipap pusing) berjaya dia tepis, hehe..

Ngeri I tengok fork yg tercacak dimeja tu as tho it says "I wanna my spiral currypuff now!!" :-)

Anie said...

Yat,

Tu arh babe sedih I biler mengenangkan nasib I ni uwaaaa!! I check2 my feedjit kan dia ada dtg2 sini jugak and search that god forsaken entry yg I dah delete. Haiizzz dia masih tak puas hati ah I rasa. Gasak dia lah malas nak story hehehehez.

InsyaAllah Jannah puasa hari ni tapi I nak kasi dia half day aja lah sbb smalam masa time berbuka dia mkn sikit jer. Traumatised kot :D

Karipap ni is time consuming babe. But its still crispy even though da sejuk. Kalau I dkt sg cfm I exchange dgn ur durian puffs ahakksss :D

Anie said...

Waalaikumsalam Cik Som,

Selamat menyambut Ramadhan buat u juga ;)

Alhamdullilah CS, tinggal lagi setengah jam she almost gave up. My hb sgt concern sbb smalam dia mkn sikit aja time buka. Hari ni cuma half day aja lah for her.

Fork tu plak sbb amik gambar time berpuasa. Cacak kat situ utk menahan godaan ahaakksss :p

Rima said...

Salam ramadhan tu my fellow singaporean hehehe.. eh bila ku baca kan yg part yat ku macam blur sotong lahhh.. why no share ahhh.. kata fellow singaporean mahhh hahaha

bila ku baca ur reply to CS.. ku boleh ter ketawa.. tu cacak cos menahan godaan ahahaha.. u eh very the funny.. hari ni pi cacak aper pulak? hehehe

Sonia semalam cuma puasa sampai pukul 12 lol.. she mintak susu bottle tepat pukul 12 so kira puasa tak pakai ahhh .. tak per.. today we will see :o)

Ribbon and Circus said...

congrats Jannah :D and thanks for the upin ipin tips..hehe senang I nak start ng Adam nanti.. by the way, how old is Jannah eh?

as for the karipap, mmg my fav.. a bit tedious tp worth it kan.. ;)

Anie said...

Rima...

Hari tu I mengadu nasib kat Yat sbb tu kita bebual code word dkt sini ahakkss. Nanti I citer dkt email u eh. Tak nak kecoh2 arh dkt sini. Nanti org ingat I ni make a mountain out of a mole hill pulak.

Alhamdullilah Sonia pun puasa. Bagus tu dia nak cuba, half day pun ok lah mcm I belajar berpuasa dulu2...hehehez.

Hari ni I tak cacak garfu sbb mission hari ni is to abiskan lauk2 n nasi ayam smalam :D

Anie said...

Jannah will be 5 this sept. Hari ni I kasi dia puasa sampai waktu zuhur. Kasi dia makan nasi & minum susu. Dah lepas makan dia berpuasa lagi for another 4hrs sampai waktu berbuka. Its better this way and her appetite was way better than yesterday....kesian dia semalam hehehez.

Totally agree with u abt this karipap....mmg worth it buat ;)

kasihredha said...

salam anie
Selamat Berpuasa ye
mohon maaf jika ada kata2/tulisan yg menyinggung perasaan...hugs

Pengaruh juga ye Upin dan Ipin..hihi
Nasib baik waktu berpuasa pendik..so boleh le Jannah belajar berpuasa.
Esok2 ...1/2 hari pun dah kira ok dah untuk anak seusia jannah :)

inahar ali said...

salam anie..lama akak x kemari..pekabo? selamat menjalani ibadah puasa wat anie sekeluarga ye!

KG said...

selamat berpuasa! dok terliurq tgk blog kengkawan today semua masak yg sedap sedap...think i'm going to make izahmuffinlover punya cucur udang ranggup. i love this karipap pusingggg!

Anie said...

Waalaikumsalam Kak Kasih,

Same to you kak ;) Alhamdullilah belom ada kata2 drpd akak yg menyinggung perasaan sy. Sama pun mohon maaf juga eh kak....

Betolx3 kak budak botak dua ekor tu mmg Jannah suka tgk citer dorang hehehez.

Anie said...

Waalaikumsalam Kak Inahar...

Alhamdullilah I baik2 aja kat sini kak. Hope u r doing gd too ;)

Selamat berpuasa utk akak sekeluarga jugak.

Anie said...

KG,

U pun tak kurang hebatnya dgn ur tayangan gambar yg menggiurkan hehehez. Bestkan dpt tgk kawan2 punya blog....kasi idea nak masak apa for iftar ahakkks