Salam to all,
The weather here is still as gloomy with on and off heavy rain just like a few days before. Lucky that I managed to get my washing dry yesterday when Mr Sun shines his ray for a few hours. I luv the rain as it keeps the temperature down but its certainly isn't a good day for photos.
Anyway, as promised to hb, I finally made the fruit trifle yesterday nyehahahaz. It was 8 days overdue bcos I actually promised to make it for him on New Year's day :D When I came back from sg....hmmmmm let me see how long ago was that. Like 2 mths ago....he also requested for roti john and curry puffs. I've already made the roti john for dinner some time back and for now, I still owe hb curry puffs. Addddeehhh, may Allah give me strength to make them ;)
This year, I didnt cheat 1 bit when I made this trifle. No store bought sponge cake and I even made the custard sauce myself.....pheewwww that was hard work isn't it. Hb loves them, he ate most it and took some for his lunch at work today. Too much cream for my liking. As for Jannah, she doesn't like this trifle at all cos she said that there's too much fruit in it. She's still a picky eater when it comes to fruits and veggies....haiiizzz.
Source : Bro Rozzan
Swiss Roll/Sponge Cake Ingredients :
6 grade A eggs (I used 6 sized 7 eggs)
4 oz caster sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 tablespoon ovalet
3 oz plain flour
1 tablespoon milk powder
4 oz butter (melted)
1. Beat eggs, sugar, ovalet, baking powder, vanilla essence, flour and milk powder on high speed until thick and fluffy (5-7mins).
2. Add melted butter and mix / stir.
3. Pour batter into the pan and then just smooth the surface.
4. Bake for about 20 minutes with a temperature of 170 degrees Celsius.
Note : I baked the batter in a 32 x 24 cm swiss roll pan and got 2 pieces of cakes from the mixture above. One was rolled into swiss roll with strawberry jam filling. The other was cut into half for the trifle layer.
Source : Taste.com.au
Vanilla Custard Ingredients :
1 vanilla bean, halved lengthways
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup thickened cream
6 egg yolks
1/2 cup caster sugar
2 teaspoons cornflour
Scrape seeds from vanilla bean. Place milk, cream, vanilla seeds and bean halves in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 10 to 12 minutes or until almost boiling. Set aside for 10 minutes to infuse. Strain into a heatproof jug. Discard vanilla bean halves. Wash and dry saucepan.
Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks, sugar and cornflour together in a bowl until thick and creamy. Gradually whisk in hot milk mixture. Return to pan. Cook, stirring, over medium-low heat for 12 to 15 minutes or until thick enough to coat back of a spoon. Serve.
Note : If not serving immediately, cover surface with plastic wrap to prevent skin forming.
Strawberry or raspberry jam
Other Ingredients :
Other Ingredients :
2 Cans of canned fruits of your choice
500ml fresh cream
Grated Chocolate/Cherries or anything that fancies you ;)
Toasted slivered almonds
Fruit Trifle Method :
1. Cut the sponge into half and spread with jam and place in the base of a large serving bowl.
2. Pour over the fruit juice until the sponge cake is wet.
3. Spread the half canned fruits on top of sponge cake.
4. Whip the cream until soft peaks form and blend 2/3 the whipped cream with the custard. Spread half of the custard evenly over the fruit and sponge.
5. Spread jam on the remaining half of the sponge and place it on top of the custard.
6. Repeat step 2-5 for 2nd layer.. Spread the remaining whipped cream over the top of the custard and refrigerate one hour before serving.
8. Decorate with grated chocolate/cherries and toasted almonds before serving.