Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Chocolate Caramel Banana Upside Down Cake



Salam to all,

I actually planned to bake something else for hb today....but bcos I spied with my little eyes 3 bananas almost going rotten in the fruit basket, I had a changed of plan.  Thinking mode was on just now.  Should I bake banana muffins....NO!!  Banana cupcakes....Boring!!  Banana Bomb...no one else eats them except me!!  Banana pancake...Don't feel like pancakes!!  I suddenly remembered that someone posted a banana cake recipe that I've never attempted before.  So, I went on my blog and taaa daaa.....I decided to give June's upside down banana cake recipe a try.




When the cake came off the baking pan, I was actually quite disappointed with the look of my cake.  It was kinda ugly :(  I was so tempted to cut a slice to give it a try and wasn't even motivated to photo the cake haiiizzz.  I changed my mind after I finished with my cooking.  I only made quiche for dinner today and it was still a little early for dinner.  As there was some time to spare before dinner,  I took photos of this cake.....while waiting for the quiche to cool down.




June did indicate to serve the cake warm.  Warm aye....what should we serve a warm dessert with??  Ice cream and chocolate sauce of course ahakkksss.  Why not add more calories to the ones that are already stored in my body hehehez.  While taking the photo,  I had a bite of the cake.  Oh me oh my, looks can be so deceiving.  The cake was sooooooo soft!!  It was like eating sponge pudding, no chewing required....it melts in ur mouth.  The caramel, the banana and the soft chocolate cake was a match made in heaven yummmo!! The 3 of us shared a slice of this cake with ice cream cos I didnt want to spoil our dinner.  In the end hb had the most and Jannah cried.  I had to dish out a small serving for her hmmmzzz.




Source : June @ Amateurish Passionate Baker Wannabe
Adapted From : Cake Keeper Cake

 For The Topping :
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
3 ripe bananas, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices

For The Cake :
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder, sifted (I used Varlhona)
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar (I added 3/4 cups)
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup buttermilk




Make the topping :
Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 9-inch round nonstick pan and dust with flour.
Heat the butter in a medium saucepan over a medium heat until foaming. Whisk in the brown sugar, turn the heat to low, and cook, whisking, for 2 minutes. Scrape the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth with a spatula. Arrange the banana slices in concentric circles on top of the sugar mixture. Set aside.

Make The Cake :
Combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
Combine the butter and granulated sugar in a large mixing bowl and cream with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides after each. Turn the mixer to high speed and beat until the mixture is light and increased in volume, about 2 minutes. Stir in the vanilla.
With the mixer on low, stir in 1/3 of the flour mixture. Stir in 1/2 of the buttermilk. Repeat with the remaining flour and milk, ending with the flour. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat the batter on high speed for 30 seconds.
Pour the batter over the bananas, gently spreading it into an even layer.
Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let stand for 5 minutes. Holding the pan and a plate together with oven mitts, immediately invert the hot cake onto the plate. If necessary, replace any fruit stuck to the bottom of the pan. Let the cake cool for 20 minutes and serve warm, or serve at room temperature. Store uneaten cake in a cake keeper, or wrap in plastic and store at room temperature for up to 2 days.



We luv this cake and me and hb already planned to substitute the fruits with apples, peaches and even durian next time hehehez.  Yeah right durian.....dream on Anie ZZZZZ.  
Be safe u olls ;)  TTFN........

12 comments:

CS said...

Anie
I nih senasib Lebai Malang. Pergi dapur June, pergi dapur you, dua2 nampak kek yg sama tapi I tak dapat jamah apa pun... *sulking*

P/S: rupa kek mcm steamed xmas puding :-)

kasihredha said...

aduhaiiii
meleleh air liur ni
tambah2 bila letak ais krim

Anie said...

Somuffins,

Alaaaaa tak mo lah merajuk Cik Som...meh sini I timang2 hehehez. Kat umah u takde ke pithang yg dah tak sempurna?? Kalau ada, magically turn them into this cake ;) Highly recommended...

P/S Betol3 mmg texturen ala2 SXP ;)

Anie said...

Kak Kasih...

Yg lemak berkrim letak ice cream tu lah yg sedap kak hehehez. Nah ni ada tissue buat lap air liur kak kasih :pppp

Yat Maria said...

I sooooo love melt in your mouth cake with tonnes of calories addition(s) pile on top!woot woot!can just imagone he texture & the burst of tatse with the ice cream & choc sauce..really arr...heavenly!aiyooooo babe, bukan Jannah sorang jer yg menagis..ai pun leh melalak sensorang pasal tak dapat makan ni...

Anie said...

Yat,

*High 5* me too muahahahaz. Mmg tersangat ngam itew cake dgn ice cream. Ooohh lupa nak add on ice cream punya flavour is french vanilla...cfm pengsan lepas makan.

Hari ni dinner yg I masak ada belen more than half sbb yg lagi 2 dlm rumah ni dah kerjakan dessert sebelom makan dinner. Susah mau cakap whoa :D

Yat Maria said...

Hahhaha Anie..kalo benda tu sedap kan, that's what will happen always..sama gak kat sini..the boys pun buat jugak macam tu..termasuk boy tua..I told them next time kalo dessert sedap out of this world, sila bilang ai siang2 so tak yah amsak dinner..makan jer dessert kan..tapi sukalah jugak, dessert kita laku..yg tak suka..dinner kena simpan dlm esbok buat makan besok..

Anie said...

Yat,

Tu arh babe....my case ni pulak dah kira terlambat sbb I dah termasak. Tak per lah hari ni senang sikit. Ada belen2 semalam for lunch.

Esbok kalau boleh tolong makan kan makanan kita kan best. Tak payah I nak kemas dah buang harta benda yg tak sepatutnya ada kat dlm esbok tu e.g sepit ooopppsss :pppp

Rima said...

Anie
I saw this cake kat june n knew for sure this cake moist one.. Nanti if ade terlebih pisang boleh lah try bake this.. Perhaps Lepas jadi whale kat pantai Bali lah hahaha

Anie said...

Rima,

Mmg betol....its really moist and melts in ur mouth. Dah habis dlm masa 2 hari. Tak payah masak dinner byk2 bila u bake this cake hehehez.

Eh eh...itew whale is my trade mark tau. U size kecik jadi mak mermaid sudah sbb Sonia dah amik title jadi princess mermaid :pppp

Unknown said...

anie.. air liurku meletop2 dlm mulut ni ha.. masih kuterasa kelajatannya.. udahla cik abe baru beli new zealand's vanilla ice cream! esok kena cari pithang lah kat pasar tani :D

Anie said...

Plain-June...

Tks for sharing this yummilicous recipe ;) Sangat highly recommended utk u buat lagi and savour it dgn ice cream nz ooohhh aahhhh hehehehez ;)